Friday, December 5, 2008

Overview

This semester has flown. Perhaps more quickly for me than any previous school semester. I have enjoyed learning so much about the media. Although I was aware of certain biases on some level, I have come to appreciate how much the media does perpetuate society's biases in almost every facet of news and entertainment. Or, is it that they simply reflect them? That's the question, isn't it? How much is what they give us what we want, and how much is what we make?
I work at an airline that places family photos on the walls of every hallway. I love looking at the pictures of chubby babies, sweet families, and new pilots just getting their wings. I can no longer see them as innocent and independent of societal woes, because now I see the male "intelligent" pilot pointing out complicated aircraft to an admiring, and ignorant, female who crouches by his side. Why is it that after all these years, women still hold the title of stupid and beautiful? Are men so threatened by intelligent women? And why does the media still perpetuate this silliness?
More to ponder.

No comments: